Pioneer DJ DJM-S5 scratch-style 2-channel DJ mixer for Serato DJ Pro
Pioneer DJ 's DJM-S5 mixer is perfect for DJs who want to learn to scratch using vinyl decks to control Serato. Whether you're new to scratching, moving across from a controller like the DDJ-REV1 or just getting around to buying your own gear, this mixer is a great choice. The layout is based on the bigger more expensive pro mixers so you'll be happy practising here and playing out on a club system and it also has features to help you put on a good performance while still mastering the craft. All this and sharp looks too!
- Intuitive pro-style layout that’s easy to learn on
- MAGVEL FADER PRO for professional-level scratching
- Brand-new features including Scratch Cutter for easy scratching
- USB bus powered
- Striking new red gloss finish
Passion for Scratching: Meet the DJM-S5 scratch-style 2-channel DJ mixer for Serato DJ Pro.
This new DJ mixer is ideal if you’ve experimented with battle mixing and scratching and want to expand your skills, or if you’re completely new to the scene and want to dive straight in.
The DJM-S5 is straightforward to operate and yet equipped with exciting performance features so your mixes can sizzle from the outset. It's laid out like its bigger brothers and fitted with the MAGVEL FADER PRO and Feeling Adjust that lets you find your perfect "weighting" - and it will stand up to the constant use as you hone your techniques.
Ready to add drama to your sets? The large effect levers on the DJM-S5 are the same size as those on the flagship DJM-S11 and you can use them to control up to 57 different effects in Serato DJ Pro (including paid Expansion Packs). Save your favorites in the 2 banks and you can access them instantly during your routine. There are 4 Performance Pads on each channel too, which you can use to control pad modes including Hot Cue, Sampler, and Scratch Bank – where you can quickly play samples or even whole tracks with a single tap.
Fake it till you Make it
You can start scratching as soon as you plug in the DJM-S5, even if you have no experience. Using the brand-new Scratch Cutter feature, simply move the control vinyl or jog wheel (when using DVS control) on one of your decks and the mixer will apply your choice of 6 cutting patterns to the sample or track you’ve loaded in perfect time with the track playing on the other deck – there’s no need to move the crossfader. And, with another new feature on the mixer – Crossfader Hot Cue – you can create a scratch-like sound by simply moving the crossfader.
Ultimate in Portability
The DJM-S5 is the first Pioneer DJ mixer that you can power via the USB connection to your computer. This gives you extra freedom and, if you use portable turntables, you can take your whole setup anywhere you can think to perform.
This unit comes with a brand-new aesthetic that will catch the eye of your audience, whether you’re playing at a party or on a live stream. The red gloss section on the top plate creates the look of a musical instrument and there’s a unique transparent “window” on the front panel which shows the construction of the MAGVEL FADER PRO.
Key Features of Pioneer DJM-S5
Intuitive scratch-style layout and features inherited from professional battle mixers
- MAGVEL FADER PRO crossfader
- Find your perfect scratch feeling with the popular MAGVEL FADER PRO crossfader, which features Feeling Adjust so you can tweak the “weight” and get the level of resistance you like best. You can be confident in the fader’s robust design too; the knob mounting axis is highly rigid in the vertical direction so it can handle energetic scratch techniques.
- Effect levers
- Use the 2 large effect levers to control up to 57 effects in Serato DJ Pro (including paid Expansion Packs). The levers are the same size as those on the flagship DJM-S11 and you can hold them down or release them to turn the effect on / off, or lock them on so your hands are free to browse and scratch tracks while the effect is still applied. There are also 2 banks where you can save effects, giving you quick access to your favorites.
- Performance Pads
- Get creative and experiment with 13 pad modes including Hot Cue and Sampler. Using the 4 Performance Pads on each deck, which measure 20.6 mm x 20.6 mm, you can trigger samples and find all kinds of new ways to “remix” your tracks live and add texture to the music.
Brand-new features for easy scratching & learning
- Scratch Cutter
- Start scratching straight away – even if you’ve never tried before. Simply choose one of the 6 cutting patterns and turn on the Scratch Cutter function with the effects lever, then move the control vinyl or jog wheel (when using DVS control) forward and backward on the deck and the DJM-S5 will do the rest. The mixer applies a cutting effect to the music in perfect time with the track playing on the other deck, emulating the popular transformer scratch technique which usually involves complicated crossfader movements, even though you don’t need to move the crossfader.
- This feature offers a great way to start learning to scratch; you can concentrate on getting your timing right with the control vinyl before moving on to the more challenging technique of using the crossfader to cut the sound in at the right places. For example, if you select the forward scratch cut pattern, you can practice pushing the control vinyl at the right moment and pulling it back to the correct point to start the scratch again without needing to close the fader to prevent the “rewind” sound being heard in between the forward scratches.
- Crossfader Hot Cue
- Turn on the Crossfader Hot Cue feature and you can quickly move the crossfader to create scratch-like sounds with a sample or track. Every time you move the fader away from the edge, the track or sample on the relevant deck plays from the most recent Hot Cue point. So, you can quickly repeat the action to rapidly play the Hot Cue in the rhythm you use to move the crossfader – creating a scratch-like sound without the need to move the control vinyl on the deck.
USB bus power and standalone mixer versatility so you can play anywhere
The DJM-S5 is the first-ever Pioneer DJ mixer that you can power via the USB connection to your computer. Enjoy the extra flexibility this offers and, if you use portable turntables, the freedom to practice and perform literally anywhere you can carry your decks to: your garden, a park, or even the beach. It works as a standalone mixer too, so you can play music from a variety of sources such as analog vinyl records. And even though the mixer is USB powered, it produces a wide-ranging bright sound that brings out the best of all music genres, from hip-hop and house, to R&B and rock.
Brand New Design
As soon as you unbox the DJM-S5, your gaze will be drawn to the all-new aesthetic design. The top plate is split into bright red gloss and black sections with contrasting detailing and black controls and buttons, which all combine to create the look of a musical instrument. As you explore further, you’ll find a transparent window on the front plate that shows off the inner workings of the MAGVEL FADER PRO, plus grab handles that make the compact and lightweight mixer easy to carry to gigs and parties.
Serato DJ Pro and DVS plug-and-play compatibility
Simply plug the DJM-S5 into a PC / Mac running the Serato DJ Pro application and you can use the software for free, including a host of professional performance features. The mixer also offers free support for Serato DVS, so you can use analog turntables with control vinyl or DJ players to play and scratch the tracks in your Serato crates. And there’s no need for external equipment such as a soundcard if you’re streaming your set and want to add speech or vocals to your performance. All sounds are sent to the stream via Serato DJ Pro.
Pioneer DJM-S5 Specifications
||Serato DJ Pro
||20 Hz - 20 kHz
108 dB (USB)
94 dB (line)
82 dB (phono)
75 dB (mic)
94 dB (aux)
|Total Harmonic Distortion
|Input / Output Connections- Inputs
Line / Phono x 2 Pairs (RCA)
Mic x 1 (XLR / 1/4" TRS combo)
Aux x 1 Pair (RCA)
|Input / Output Connections- Outputs
Master x 1 Pair (XLR)
Booth / Master x 1 Pair (RCA)
Headphones x 2 (1/4" stereo jack, 3.5mm stereo minijack)
|Input / Output Connections- USB
PC / Mac connection & power supply USB Type C x 1
Power supply only USB Type C x 1
||USB Type C bus powered
||5V / 500 mA
(W x D x H)
245 x 363.5 x 107.9 mm
9.65" x 14.31" x 4.25"
||3.4 kg / 7.5 lb
USB cable (USB Type-A to USB Type-C)
Warranty (for some regions)
Quick Start Guide
Precautions for Use